Friday, November 5, 2010

Superwomen or not?

I know that the last 2 posts that I have written are in part aboutrelated to moving.  I have been thinking a lot this week about life and family.  So, it has lead me to ponder my life as a doctor and a mother.  But, it has also made me wonder, if I weren't me, being that I had my children before med school, would I do things any different.  Being me, was was it right for me to chose this path?  Or was it selfish?
I was talking to one of my daughter's friend's Mom today and she told me that my daughter and her daughter were discussing our potential move.  My daughter had told her friend in the midst of this conversation "see, this is why people shouldn't have kids in med school."  Now, you can imagine, my heart has been broken all day as I have turned her words over and over in my head.  What did she mean?  Did she REALLY say that?
So, I got home from work today and I asked my daughter if she said that to her friend.  Yes, she said, sounding remorseful.  Quickly trying to repair the despair that must have grazed my face, she said "I meant that people shouldn't have babies during medical school."  It seems apparent to me that is NOT what she meant.  However, it doesn't matter.  The question has already seeded my indecisive little mind.
Therefore, I have begun to contemplate. 
Do women in medicine (and men of course) have such big aspirations that we really do think that we can have it all.  What do we think we are Superwomen/Superman?  Yes, of course we do.  If we didn't than we wouldn't enter into medicine, relationships and parenthood simultaneously. There simply aren't enough hours in a day or days in a year.  Now of course, this all depends on what our expectations are in each of these duties.  Can we be the supersoccer Mom, all-star wife and world renowned physician all at once? NO.  As a doctor Mom, I will miss soccer games, I will buy frozen bread and eat microwave dinners more than I am willing to admit, and I will feel guilty for every night my husband spends sleeping next to a cold spot in the bed where I should be, and who has time to be world renowned anyhow?
On a fairly frequent basis I hear people say "Wow, I don't know how you do it!"  or "You really are amazing."  But most days I feel anything BUT.  I always dreamed of being one of those Mom's that baked cookies with my kids and volunteered in the classroom.  I thought I would be that awesome supportive wife that planned awesome dinners and had date nights with my husband.  I never dreamed that I would be perpetually tired, perpetually late, and perpetually behind in everything.  I rarely bake cookies, I never volunteer and most nights my poor husband is responsible for feeding my family.
So I ask is it worth it and why have I done this to my family?  I tell myself that I am doing this because I love medicine.  I tell myself that I do it so that my kids can have all of the opportunities that I couldn't. I tell myself that I am trying to set an example for my kids. That they will get to travel and that they will get to wear the "in" shoes.  I tell myself that in the end it will all be worth it.  That we have had amazing opportunities, made amazing friends, and gotten to experience things that we never would have experienced. 
Other days I think that medicine is a very selfish profession.  It is time consuming, narcissistic, and meant only for single people.  So, does that make me selfish as well?  Probably.  Which brings me full circle.  If I didn't have children before med school and I knew what I know now, I would think long and hard about having kids or not going into medicine.  If I had it to do over again, I would try like hell to love another profession.  Instead, I am stuck with now.  I am stuck with adolescence and the teen years in the very near future.  I am stuck with ruining my daughters life and realizing that the days of being her hero have past.  I am stuck with trying to choose a specialty when my mind wants to go one way and my heart the other.  Thus, my husband and I are left trying to mold our future in a way that will screw up our kids the least.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, Ellie you made me cry and said everything that I have been thinking for the past 3 years...

    ReplyDelete